The magnificent mansion at 195 Howe St., opposite Merrimack Valley Golf Course, was built in 1913 by Lawrence mill contractor F. Harry Locke. Recently restored to its original grandeur, it remains one of Methuen’s finest homes with one of the most scenic views in the Merrimack Valley.

Fitz Harry Locke, commonly known as F. Harry or Harry, was born in Lawrence in 1888, the only child of Langdon E. and Ida Locke.

Langdon owned the L. E. Locke Co. of Lawrence, a prominent general contracting company and builder of many of the city’s large textile mills, including the Pacific, Arlington, Everett, Monomac, Katama and Kunhardt mills. Harry began working for his father at a young age. By 1910, he was a company foreman.

Harry married Cara Crawford of Lawrence in 1910. Around that time, many of Lawrence’s successful businessmen, doctors and lawyers were buying large parcels of Methuen farmland to build elegant homes for themselves away from the noise and congestion of the city. In 1913, Harry purchased nearly 5½ acres of former farm property on Howe Street, across from the recently developed golf course. He then built his stunning home on the sloping, picturesque lot. He acquired additional acreage around the house in subsequent years, expanding the lot size to over 10 acres. He added a garage, cow barn and a chicken coop to the back of the property. He later built a small house for his property’s caretaker and his family.

The spacious home had seven bedrooms for the couple and their family of nine children born between 1910 and 1923. They also employed a live-in maid to assist with household chores and help care for the many children. Some accounts mention a speakeasy bar in the basement during the Prohibition years. The Lockes were said to have hosted many parties at their home. The family spent their summers in the large summer home Harry built at Locke Point in Rye, N.H.

Meanwhile, Harry took on a larger role in his father’s business, which was then known as L. E. Locke & Son. When Langdon died in 1929 at age 78, Harry inherited the profitable company and $1.4 million. He headed the company until he retired in 1958. His sons Richard and Sherman succeeded him.

Cara died in 1953 at age 67. Harry deeded the house to his two unmarried daughters, Nancy and Joan, the following year. He died in 1965 at age 77. The two sisters continued to live alone in the home for the remainder of their lives. They maintained gardens and kept a few farm animals at the back of the property for many years.

Nancy died in 2009 at age 89. Joan died in 2011 at age 87. All of their siblings had also died by that time. They left the estate to their grandnephew, David Locke, who had cared for them and the property in their later years.

In 2018, David sold over 8½ acres of the property for development into a 140-unit independent living facility called The Woods at Merrimack. He also sold the house and its nearly 1¼-acre lot separately. After many in the community expressed concern about the house’s future, the buyer agreed to a preservation agreement with the city to restore and maintain the exterior as a historic building. The city has jurisdiction over any structural changes. The interior also underwent a thorough restoration and updating. It remains a single-family home.

One of the home’s highlights is the spectacular view overlooking the well-manicured golf course. Perhaps Harry considered this view when he selected that location. If so, it was an excellent choice.

Ken Doherty is a lifelong resident of Methuen. He served on the Methuen Fire Department from 1980 to 2010. He is the Fire Department historian and a former member of the Methuen Historical Commission. He wrote “Á History of Methuen and its Fire Department” in 1996. He is retired and still living in Methuen with his wife, Paula.

Here’s the view of Merrimack Valley Golf Course from 195 Howe St. Photo: KHD 2025